[Mageia-dev] Version freeze: 2012/03/07

Anne nicolas ennael at mageia.org
Fri Mar 2 21:39:59 CET 2012

What is a version freeze?
Let's take an example: abiword-2.9.2-5.mga2.src.rpm
2.9.2 is version
-5 is release
Version freeze happens when no more version changes are allowed (
unless exception ).

On Mageia 2 planning, it will happen on 7th of march. That's in 5
days, for people that do not look their calendar.

Reasons for a freeze
-----------------------------
We start the freeze in order to focus now on fixing pending bugs and
stabilize general state of distribution in order to prepare the
release of Mageia 2 on 3rd of may. The version freeze will be followed
by a release freeze on 7th of april, and a freeze for release. The
main goal is that bugs are caused by general changes, so to reduce
bugs count, we should focus on just fixing them. It avoids edge
effects because of last minute updates.

What it changes in practice
if a package is a different version from the previous one, youri ( our
package upload tool ) will block the upload, unless you are in a
special group ( see end of mail for the list ).  So while non version
change can be uploaded without problem ( so people can still add
patches, etc ), version changes should be submitted by autorized
person.

How to ask for an exception
- First, try to build the rpm locally, test it, see if it installs and
works fine.
Check that the changes are minimal enough, on Provides and Requires
tags, on file location, etc
- Do not commit in the main branch for now ( you can use branch if you want )
- If unsure, please ask first for a freeze break on mageia-dev, with
reasons. Please keep in mind that only bugfixes should be accepted.
- Once the break is accepted, please commit and then ask for submitting

Criteria for accepting updates
Since we aim for stability, the criteria would be near the ones of
updates. For example, if this is upgrade to a stable release when the
rc was here ( like for gnome ), this should be ok. If that fixes an
important bugfix, or a security issue this should be ok, provided
there is not much breakage, and that it doesn't require to rebuild
half of the distribution.

Please explain clearly if there is an important bug, give url, etc.

While we should have discussed this before a little bit more ( as said
in meeting ), we will take the following list for now, with people who
should be both avliable and experienced enough.

List of authorized people to submit new version
- misc
- ennael
- tmb