[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Mar 3 18:24:51 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Kamil Rytarowski at 02/03/12 19:43 did gyre and gimble:
> On 02.03.2012 19:55, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>> 02.03.2012 20:49, Kamil Rytarowski skrev:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Is possible to ship qt3-devel with Mageia? Half of the the Polish
>>> community is demanding it, and because of lack of qt3-devel people can't
>>> switch from other Well Known Distros to Mageia.
>>>
>> NO.
>>
>> As stated a million times before...
>>
>> qt3 is obsolete
>>
>> The only reason we have some qt3 runtime support is because of LSB
> Sad..
>>
>> Any stuff needed should be ported to qt4.
> Actually this is not true. One of our Mageia users (who introduced
> Mageia on a dozen of machines) can't switch the next dozen because of
> lacking Rivendell Radio Broadcasting software (
> http://www.rivendellaudio.org/index.shtml ), the other can't use his
> favourite qt3 apps, and a few others (including RH employee) are forced
> to use Fedora or KDE4.
>
> If the "obsolete" part is the only reason, then it's not too strong..
> the package is maintained and there is *upstream*.
>
> As of the 3.5.13 release the Trinity project has taken over maintenance
> of Qt3.
>
>     This means we are the new "upstream" location for up-to-date Qt3
> source code.
>     Since there have been no updates or stable releases from
> Nokia/Trolltech in many years and there are literally hundreds patches
> floating around, there was a significant need for a central location.
>     By maintaining Qt3 it will allow us to continue to improve Qt3
> outside the scope of Trinity. It will also provide a central location
> for Linux distributions to build packages from, and contributers to
> submit code to.
>     For obvious reasons any Qt3 version released by this project is
> licensed under the GPL only; holders of Trolltech Qt licenses may not
> use these versions in their proprietary projects.
>
> http://www.trinitydesktop.org/wiki/bin/view/Documentation/Releases_3_5_13#Qt3
>

> Trinity is currently packaged for Mandriva, OpenSUSE and available for
> the main distros.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with this trinity stuff. Open Source
software gives people freedoms and that's good, but it doesn't stop them
making bad decisions.

Times move on. Why take a legacy bit of software and keep on developing
it? If they *really* cared so much for the KDE3 interface they would
port it to qt4 or even qt5, not limp on with outdated base layers.