[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 6 21:19:49 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 06/03/12 20:09 did gyre and gimble:
> Op dinsdag 06 maart 2012 20:52:02 schreef Colin Guthrie:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 06/03/12 19:41 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Op dinsdag 06 maart 2012 14:28:38 schreef Colin Guthrie:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> have you been successfull with 2 user sessions?
>>
>> As in logging out and back in again or with fast user switching?
>>
>> The former has worked quite happily for me. Not tested the latter but I
>> expect there to be some quirks.
>>
>> Col
>
> err, no, i mean 2 X sessions.
>
> often i have one KDE session running on vt8 and one for my wife on vt9 and
> sometimes on for my daughter at vt10...

OK, so fast user switching then.

> the question is, with the prefdm only conflicting with the first getty, will
> several X sessions be possible?

Yeah. They should, in theory at least, start on vt2 and vt3, tho' this
may depend on the desktop itself. With GDM+Gnome the second session
starts on tty2, the third on tty3 etc.

There is a caveat however. If you have switched to tty2 before picking
the "Login as another user" option, then autovt will have kicked in and
started a getty there. It then "hogs" tty2 and prevents X from using it.

Of course if I manage to get my idea working, switching to tty2 when in
graphical.target will actually give you a graphical login prompt anyway,
so pretty much the same thing as picking the "Login as another user"
option from within the first graphical session.