[Mageia-dev] Deprecating startx

EatDirt dirteat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:17:00 CET 2012

On 07/03/12 12:12, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> You can still debug X but only for an actual X server.
>
> Anyway even when I was maintaining X a few years back, I don't think I
> ever started it from the text console. I always used the official
> methods for starting X (service dm restart in those days). So not sure
> it's really all that needed for debugging.

Thanks for the explanations. If this is a matter of ACL only, I would
let startx existing even of sound or acceleration is not working.

I also remember mandriva times for which the dm was not working. Or
simple than that, when hald was switched off and autoadddevice=false,
startx was usefull to open a X session.

Cheers,
Chris.