[Mageia-dev] soundwrapper

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 7 22:57:40 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and zezinho at 06/03/12 20:49 did gyre and gimble:

>>> You can tell if an application uses oss by doing:
>>>  sudo fuser -v /dev/dsp
>>
>> You don't need to be root in order to do that:
>> /sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp
>
> Thanks guys. So far only clanbomber needs soundwrapper, I am cleaning all
> other specs.

Be careful with this test, as the games might not always have /dev/dsp
open (i.e. they may only use it periodically).

Also, there could be problems with e.g. mmap where they might open the
device and then fail to use mmap in which case they close it again.

So try not to rely on this test only.

Also if the open calls have been hijacked (i.e. soundwrapper has been
used and is doing it's job correctly) it will likely not show up.

So when testing make sure you do NOT use soundwrapper before doing your
test.