[Mageia-dev] Deprecating startx

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Mar 8 03:08:03 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Charles A Edwards at 08/03/12 01:20 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 22:06:19 +0000
> Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>
>> The actual use case of using a text login and then starting X is quite
>> small. Of course some people (like Wobo) do use this but it's
>> definitely the exception rather than the rule.
>

> You can also add me to that 'small' list.

You seem unconvinced due to your use of quotes. It's very hard to
evaluate this kind of thing, but obviously "developery" types are a
skewed source of information.

Believe me, I frequently design out approaches that I myself use because
they are quite simply the wrong approach and I refuse to let my own
personal habits get in the way of correct design.

This is why I give far less credence to "old habits" and "how it's been
done in the past" and much more to "what would my mum expect" or "what
would a novice computer user expect".

>From this viewpoint the problems some developer types (myself included)
attach to some issues simply vanish.