[Mageia-dev] Mageia support for GMA 3600 (Cedar Trail Atom)

tux99-mga at uridium.org tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Mar 8 11:09:37 CET 2012

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and tux99-mga at uridium.org at 08/03/12 02:00 did gyre and
> gimble:
> > On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 tux99-mga at uridium.org wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >> I just tried Mageia 2 beta 1 on a Intel DN2800MT board hoping that it
> >> would have framebuffer support for the GMA 3600, but the attached
> >> monitor goes into standby (no signal) as soon as the frame buffer gets
> >> activated during boot.
> >>
> >> As far as I understand there is frame buffer support in the 3.3 kernel
> >> for the GMA 3600 so in theory it should work.
> >>
> >> Are you aware of this issue or should I do a bug report?
> >>
> >> Has anyone else tested a GMA 3600 (the GPU that's in all Cedar Trail
> >> Atom cpus) with Mageia so far?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> tux99
> >
> > Just to add: I have tried all grub opptions (normal, non-fb and
> > failsafe) on each of them the same thing happens. with non-fb I can see
> > the boot process until almost the end, I guess it's the start of the dm
> > that triggers the loss of signal in that case.
> >
> > I tried editing the grub line adding a "3" at end hopeing to get it to
> > boot to runlevel 3 but that doesn't seem to work as the behaviour
> > doesn't change. Is "3" on the grub line still supposed to work?
> >
> > I imagine this GMA3600 issue needs solving before the final release as
> > CedarTrail Atoms will be in most Netbooks sold this year, and even
> > though netbooks are less popular then they used to be, they are still
> > selling by the milions especially in Asia.
> >
> > Let me know what I could do to help debug this.
>
> This depends on your upgrade path of your Mageia install. Is it a fresh
> install?

Yes, fresh install using the Mageia 2 beta 1 netinstall ISO, I selected
the LXDE desktop to keep the install size small.

> Switch to tty2 after booting to runlevel 3. It should let you log in.

Well if I press Ctrl-Alt-F2 after waiting 10-15 seconds after the screen
goes into standby during boot, I still don't get the a video signal
back. I can then press Ctrl-Alt-Del and the system will shut down
cleanly so it's not frozen, it's only the video output that doesn't
work with Mageia.