[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron nonfree/release get-skype-2.2.0.35-18.mga2.nonfree

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 13:29:14 CET 2012

Le 08/03/2012 13:20, Sander Lepik a écrit :
> 08.03.2012 14:04, kamil kirjutas:
>> Name : get-skype Relocations: (not relocatable)
>>
>> - remove noarch tag
>> - add ExclusiveArch tag with value %{ix86}, Skype for Linux is
>> currently 32-bit only and it needs 32-bit libraries
>>
>> + sander85<sander85>
>> - fix some typos
> Skype is pretty popular nowdays. 64-bit systems are pretty popular too,
> you know. Yes, we had conflict with policy. But in this case i think the
> policy is the one that must be changed. For exeptions like Skype. Or we
> need to add Nonfree 32 for 64-bit systems which makes a lot less sense
> to me. Or you will start explaining to users again, why we don't have
> Skype in our distro :(
If you start explaining issues, maybe you could directly explain the
truth, aka:
- skype itself is not present, because its licensing prevent redistribution
- a skype installer is present, in a specific package section
- in order to install it, they may have to first configure a new urpmi media

Requesting policy exception just because 'life is otherwise too much
complex for our poor users base' isn't going to get much suffrage...
--
BOFH excuse #226:

A star wars satellite accidently blew up the WAN.