[Mageia-dev] agetty vs. mingetty

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Thu Mar 8 17:36:43 CET 2012

On Thursday 08 March 2012 15:33, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > Then you're also sacrificing a few braille users. (e.g. blind users.)
>
> Can you give more details on this?

Some braille devices use the serial port in order to operate.
How they communicate I don't really know.

A blind friend of mine use serial console's when he cannot access the machine via network, during installation and when he cannot acess a system over the network for some reason, and brltty is not installed on it.
I also believe some admins access servers which do not have a screen attached to it using serial console, and they can't or don't want to access it over the network. (A mailserver I used to maintain, had serial console access as requirement from the management.)

If we are in the posistion to be able to chose between having serial console access or not, and it's not a big change in code, configuration and what not, my vote is to keep serial console access.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324