[Mageia-dev] agetty vs. mingetty

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Mar 9 00:52:04 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 08/03/12 16:27 did gyre and gimble:
> Le jeudi 08 mars 2012 à 10:38 -0500, Liam R E Quin a écrit :
>> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 14:17 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>
>>> So if we switch to mingetty in getty at .service we'll be sacrificing
>>> serial console support.
>>
>> Web hosting companies sometimes provide access to a serial console.
>
> Then I guess they can also take the step of installing agetty or mgetty
> and configure it, since they have to configure it anyway. So we are just
> adding 1 rpm to install, documented to in the man pages ( and the rest
> of the web ).

Well I'm pretty sure the configuration is very minimal with systemd
right now. Just a simply a matter of creating a getty at ttys1.service
symlink or similar. If we patch the systemd to use mingetty, they'll
maybe follow upstream docs and do this only to have it fail which is not
goot.

Of course we should perhaps not change getty at .service, but rather write
a new mingetty at .service and link autovt at .service to that instead but
we'll also have to patch prefdm.service too to ensure the appropriate
conflicts are updated.

While this is totally possible, I've not seen any arguments in favour of
mingetty. I believe agetty is lighter weight and uses less memory.

Any actual arguments to specifically use mingetty?