[Mageia-dev] RFC: Splash + Quiet.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Mar 10 17:40:05 CET 2012

Hi,

We've used the kernel command line "splash=silent" in the past (as
opposed to "splash=verbose") to indicate that we want a splash screen.

Most of the upstream projects just check for "splash" on it's own. The
absence of the word "splash" means the same as our current "splash=verbose".

In order to make this work properly we have to patch both upstream
systemd, initscripts, dracut and plymouth.

As far as I can tell, there is no gain in doing this so I'm intending to
convert our usage to the upstream defaults. If anyone objects, please
speak out now!!

As a separate issue, kernel debug output is controlled by the "quiet"
keyword. We don't use this (haven't since 2003) but personally I believe
it's time to include this. It gives a much smoother and more user
friendly boot.

So again, unless anyone objects, I'll update the tools to set these two
keywords together when we boot. (I thought that there used to be a GUI
tool to choose the theme here and whether it was verbose or silent... I
can't seem to see it - what am I missing?)