[Mageia-dev] [Freeze] please let in xonotic

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Mar 12 10:56:57 CET 2012

Le lundi 12 mars 2012 à 08:29 +0100, Maarten Vanraes a écrit :

> to get back on topic: perhaps it's not unreasonable to allow a timelimit
> exception, like for instance 3 or 4 days where "i forgot it was freeze or
> didn't make it in time AND it's not likely to mess everything up" kind of
> reason...

That was already discussed when we discussed the release cycle. And
basically, that would just "let's reduce the freeze by 3/4 days in a
more inefficient way". You just move the bickering at the 3/4 days limit
( "but it could have bene if I had submitted yesterday" ) instead of the
beggining of the freeze, and you take time to the people who are
submitting, since they get message, have to warn packager about "it
doesn't work" ( as it happened several time last freeze period ).

So next time, maybe we should have a pure good faith based system,
instead of enforcing it with youri, since every attempt to enforce lead
to discussion. This way :
- we do not change anything, so no time to invest in too much
communication
- no time lost by sysadmin to put the freeze, even if that's minor
( except when stuff break )
- everybody can do as he see fit

> (about communication: maybe it's more prudent to have a messagebox above
> http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/ telling us about various freezes and upcoming
> soon freezes, even though as a packager it's my task to read meeting logs and
> keeping myself up2date)

Patch welcome, but frankly, I think there is a point where the duty of
being informed must be on the packagers. It is rather depressing to
realize that people do not read the announce you send ( and what is more
depressing is the number of those that don't once you start to dig out
).

If some people missed the announce, maybe we should ask them "where do
you read information about the project and where don't you read", so we
can identify the communication channel that should be used and those
that shouldn't, as i am not sure that hammering more is the solution.
--
Michael Scherer