[Mageia-dev] [Freeze] please let in xonotic

Juan Luis Baptiste juancho at mageia.org
Wed Mar 14 01:16:23 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le samedi 10 mars 2012 à 10:26 +0100, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> please let in xonotic-0.6.0
>> It's just a game that impacts nothing else.
>
> Niet.
>
> That's bugfix or security fixes.

Well I vote to be updated, why ? global game servers are currently
running 0.6.0, and by personal experience over several years (omg how
much time wasted on this) these FPS games need to have the same
client/server version, in some cases different versions won't work at
all (ie. Urban Terror 3.7 -> 4.0 -> 4.1, Warsow 0.5 -> 0.8 etc).

I just did the test of running a 0.5.0 client on a 0.6.0 server and it
works, but a big and annoying yellow announce floats across the screen
remaining you that a new version is available. I also talked with one
dev over IRC and he told me that there could be issues when running
different client/server versions.

So just to be on the safe side this new version should be pushed. If
not then probably we will need to do it later as an update if any
problems arise. I commit my self to test the new version, I know very
well how this game works.

--
Juancho