[Mageia-dev] lighttpd and others now require apache

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:51:13 CET 2012

Le 08/03/2012 16:47, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> Le 08/03/2012 16:13, Pascal Terjan a écrit :
>> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 14:57, Romain d'Alverny<rdalverny at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> It helps when it works out of the box. A user may not be aware, at
>>> first, that a /var/www/html has to be created + an index.html file put
>>> in it, to see its Web server work. It's a good default behaviour
>>> confirming the install succeeded and that the server works, it saves a
>>> few seconds to everyone trying/doing it first.
>>>
>>> Now, maybe each web server package should check if this /var/www/html
>>> directory exists and create it if needed (or have /var/www/apache,
>>> /var/www/lighttpd, etc.)? Or should that be better handled by a
>>> separate unique package?
>>
>> I would prefer a package providing a web user and a default webroot.
>> Else we can have such shared user created in each of the packages...
>> It would be annoying to have to chown the writable directories when
>> switching between servers.
> Fine with me.
Well, some days ago I pushed a 'webserver-base' package, with the
following elements:
- /var/www and /var/www/html directories
- 'apache' user
- index.html page

I've been curious, however, at the exact amount of shared elements our
various webservers packages currently use. And actually, only two
(apache and lighttpd) do share user and document root, the two others
(nginx and cherookee) being totally independant.

In Fedora, they are all independant.

So I'd rather revert the change, and make lighttpd autonomous also.
Unless someone can convince me there is an advantage having lighttpd
executing as 'apache' :)

--
BOFH excuse #35:

working as designed