[Mageia-dev] Mageia 2 Beta 2 is available

tux99-mga at uridium.org tux99-mga at uridium.org
Fri Mar 16 11:56:27 CET 2012

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Sander Lepik wrote:

> 16.03.2012 03:07, tux99-mga at uridium.org kirjutas:
> > On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, Anne nicolas wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there
> >>
> >> Beta 2 is available now  for tests. Here is the announcement:
> >> http://blog.mageia.org/en/2012/03/15/mageia-2-beta-2-near-the-goal/
> >>
> >> We need your tests and reports more than ever!
> > Hi Anne, I gave feedback with regards to serious issues when trying
> > beta 1 on a Cedarview Atom system, but apart from a couple of
> > isolated replies (thanks to those who did reply) that unfortunately
> > didn't solve the issues I got no further interest.
> And the bug number is?

Does your post mean you looked at the info I provided in the previous
emails and you concluded that I'm hitting a bug?

As I said before I don't know if I'm hitting a bug or if it's a
configuration issue, that's what I was trying to find out here.

My main problem is I don't really understand how the GMA3600 needs to be
configured, I don't know what this DRM kernel driver that's included in
3.3.7rc7 is, is it equivalent to a framebuffer driver, or do I still
have to use the generic vesa framebuffer?

Regardless of that, out of the box I'm not getting any picture with this
GPU (the screen goes into stand-by once the DRM kernel module is
activated at boot).

I did manage to manually configure xorg to use the generic vesa
framebuffer but this way I don't seem to get any DRI capability which I
thought the GMA3600 DRM kernel module was supposed to provide.

There don't seem to be any docs anywhere with regards to this, neither
in the kernel docs nor on the internet, at least I didn't find anything.

As it stands Mageia is unusable on a Cedarview Atom for a normal user,
and even I'm quite at loss here as I only managed to get generic vesa
xorg working (after a lot of trial and error).

At least with other distros (Centos 6.2 or Fedora 17 alpha) xorg with
the generic vesa driver works out of the box (but those distros don't
have the latest kernel with the GMA3600 DRM kernel module).