[Mageia-dev] systemd 44

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Mar 19 13:16:35 CET 2012

Hi,

I would like to push systemd 44.

There are a number of important fixes regarding endian issues (important
for our arm port) and some others relating to the management of the
journal log and file sizes (related ot a problem we have in the current
version which is already patched with one of the upstream fixes for an
issue in this regard - tho' it's not the full story).

This is the version that will be in Fedora 17 which is approximately in
line with our schedule, we will be getting the benefit of their testing too.

If this is just crazy talk, I will go through and cherry pick the
important commits, but this will likely be >60% of the real commits.

I'm obviously running it here.

What say thee?

Happy enough to go either way, as the cherry picking won't take too
long. I'm just not convinced of the benefits vs. the version Fedora are
going to ship.... :)

Col

Just to give some summary:

[colin at jimmy systemd (master)]$ git shortlog v43..v44| wc -l
108
[colin at jimmy systemd (master)]$ git shortlog v43..v44| grep man: | wc -l
17
[colin at jimmy systemd (master)]$ git shortlog v43..v44| grep TODO | wc -l
13
[colin at jimmy systemd (master)]$ echo 21; # Lines in the short log for
user headers
21

So of the 108 lines, 51 are shortlog cruft, and trivial changes (not code).

So only 57 actual commits. 25 of them are related to the journal and we
will likely include all of those in any cherry picking.

The remaining fixes look pretty safe to me.

Dave Reisner (2):
      systemd-analyze: call os.uname() once
      mount: properly check return for mount_add_*

Frederic Crozat (3):
      fix sparse warnings

Harald Hoyer (1):
      bash-completion: get rid of awk, sed and grep

Kay Sievers (4):
      systemd-analyze: read /etc/os-release
      systemctl: forward untrusted user reboot, poweroff requests to logind

Lennart Poettering (69):
      machine-id: initialize vom qemu/kvm -uuid parameter if available
      systemctl: introduce systemctl reboot -ff
      units: reword rescue/emergency mode message to fit in 80chars
      login: document new sd_session_get_xxx() calls
      sd-login: c++ compatibility
      umount: don't try to umount /usr, if we are running from it
      socket: rename 'broken' failure result to 'failed-permanent' on
order not to introduce new terminology
      nspawn: be less cryptic when clone() fails
      conf: enforce UTF8 validty everywhere
      socket: add option for SO_PASSEC
      util: add brute-force fallback for close_all_fds()
      conf-parser: warn if an assignment is place outside of a section
      mount: fix assertion
      socket: if we fail to create an instantiated service for a socket,
don't put the socket in failure mode
      socket: make sure that the name for per-connection services are unique
      machine-id: initialize from $container_uuid if not set otherwise
      conf: when looking for configurations look in /etc first, in /run
second
      path-lookup: rearrange things so that the system path order
follows the user path order
      pkg-config: bring unit search path order in sync with the code
      log: introduce log_metav
      virt: the pidns controller does not exist anymore
      nspawn: mount /etc/timezone into nspawn environment too
      a couple of fixes to make llvm-analyze quiet
      build-sys: don't build distcheck version with split /usr
      build-sys: prepare release 44

Michal Schmidt (1):
      socket: fail the socket if the service keeps dying on start

Shawn Landden (2):
      login: tag the Mimo 720 ID_AUTOSEAT

Thierry Reding (1):
      configure.ac: fix typo in distro help string