[Mageia-dev] Latest kernels vs IDE/libata

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Tue Mar 20 09:50:02 CET 2012

Hi all...

I have a queston about an issue that should be decided by the 'thinkin
minds' in the distro, that probably have have wider sight than me...

I have some boxes with ide disks, that long tine ago were driven by
the libata subsystem, as the pure PATA susbsytem is being slowly
deprecated. Perhaps the kernel driver loading priorities have changed,
perhaps before IDE was not builtin into kernel.
But now, to get my IDE drove again by libata, I have to blacklist
generic-ide and company.
So I had to put a file ide.conf into modules.d like:

blacklist ide-generic
blacklist ide-pci-generic
blacklist piix

so ata_piix drives my ICH5 again.

I think it is desirable, libata works much better than old IDE driver,
all your drives are sdX, instead of mixing sdX for SATA and hdX for PATA,
etc...

Would it be desirable to have an ide-blacklist.conf file just to go
migrating all working-ok-with-libata controllers to libata, and only
leave pure PATA drivers for non supported oldies ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>        \               Winter is coming...