[Mageia-dev] installing minimal is not really that minimal

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:42:40 CET 2012

On 23 March 2012 08:32, Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
> Op vrijdag 23 maart 2012 02:08:26 schreef Maarten Vanraes:
>> Op donderdag 22 maart 2012 00:30:53 schreef Maarten Vanraes:
>> [...]
>>
>> in a chroot, i did a test with requiring plymouth or suggesting it (from
>> dracut)
>>
>> the difference is:
>>
>> with plymouth: 301 packages/335MB
>> without plymouth: 294 packages/294MB
>>
>> i'm gonna try a minimal install and see how much this'll differ
>

> ok, i was a bit wrong:
>
> i have a local dracut version overridden with urpmi-proxy so as not to
> required but suggest plymouth
>

> testing with which packages would become requested with rpmsrate...
>
> in a chroot, this becomes: 246 packages/299MB
> but, with suggests, this becomes 337 packages/385MB
>
> however, in an install i have 371 packages
>
> but the / contains 731MB
>
> so, where do all these extra packages come from?
>
> these are the different packages between installing with suggests, or chrooted
> rpmsrate expansion with suggests...
>
> acpi
> acpid
> bc
> coreutils-doc
> cpufreq
> dhcp-client
> dhcp-common
> dmraid
> dmraid-events
> gpg-pubkey
> hdparm
> hexedit
> ipset
> iptables
> kpartx
> lib64dmraid1
> lib64ip4tc0
> lib64ip6tc0
> lib64iptables7
> lib64mnl0
> lib64nfnetlink0
> locales-en
> lsof
> mageia-gfxboot-theme
> mandi
> mandi-ifw
> microcode
> microcode_ctl
> procmail
> shorewall
> strace
> sudo
> tree
>
> for one, mageia-gfxboot-theme is here again... it didn't get selected in
> chrooted install from manually checked rpmsrate settings... where does this
> come from?
>
> is there a part in the installer that hardcodes certain packages? clearly
> according to the ddebug.log file, this mageia-gfxboot-theme gets selected
> during the choosePackages step and not later on...
>
> what am i missing here?
>
> does anyone have an idea? i'd like to get to the bottom of this, so a pointer
> in a direction would help me alot...

acpi* mageia-gfxboot-them are pulled by the installer
mandi* shorewall (& thus iptables*) too.
I've asked previously if we want a firewall installed before summary, anne &
blino said it was OK
microcode* is pulled b/c your CPU supports patching
idem for cpufreq
dhcp was selected b/c there was a network interface configured as DHCP
dmraid (& thus kpartx) was selected b/c you've some fake raid
(...)
you always got gpg-pubkey, those are fake packages containing the keys
used to verify packages