[Mageia-dev] [RFC] How to proceed with seamonkey/iceape for security updates and freeze push

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Wed Mar 28 20:59:29 CEST 2012

Am 26.03.2012 19:46, schrieb Florian Hubold:
> I'm currently in contact with some seamonkey developers, to maybe clear up
> why/if the rebrand is needed, if it's needed like it's currently done, and
> why Fedora can simply ship seamonkey without the need for a rebrand, but
> the dialog may take some time, this would be only relevant for option 2.

As a followup, an answer from Justin Callek, seamonkey developer:

Am 28.03.2012 19:02, schrieb Justin Wood (Callek):
>> You know whom i can ask about this? No pressing issue, though ...
>> Would be nice if somebody could tell me wether the Fedora way is approved,
>> because one of my options would be to drop iceape in it's current form
>> as it's hassle to maintain, and to reimport seamonkey as Fedora packages
>> it: http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=seamonkey.git;a=tree
>>
> Will address the rest of your message later, but this for now...
>
> I will thank Robert Kaiser for providing the wording for the answer of
> the following, not sure if he meant to send it directly to you as well,
> but this makes my reply soo much easier.
>
> `so far, we've handled those cases with a stance of "if you have
> permission from Mozilla to ship an officially branded Firefox (and
> Thunderbird) with those code changes, you have permission to ship
> SeaMonkey with those same changes - if you don't modify the code or
> deactivate (major) features, you're always allowed to ship with official
> branding." As most of those distros offer Firefox and Thunderbird as
> well, usually with higher priorities as SeaMonkey, that has worked out
> fine so far without needing special additional rules. `
>
> As said I'll skim the changes you mentioned, but if you are able to ship
> Firefox/Thunderbird with these changes and with official branding,
> consider it a 'go' from us.

OK, so how do we handle this? As there is no explicit permission
by Mozilla to have us ship officially branded Mozilla apps, as i've
put up before, or at least i don't know of any explicit permission.

As this applies to Firefox and Thunderbird as well ...