[Mageia-dev] RFT: xen support

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Thu Mar 29 22:36:38 CEST 2012

Op maandag 11 april 2011 10:33:30 schreef Thomas Backlund:
> Hi,
>
> xen-4.1.0-1.mga1 is now avaliable in the repos.
>
> And as of kernel-2.6.38.2-4.mga1 there has been some cleanups and addons
> for xen:
>
> There is now a kernel-xen-pvops that also should work as dom0.
>
> Now this is mostly upstream kenel.org code so its not as fully
> featured as the old kernel-xen. You can see the features listed here:
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps.
>
> There is one exception: our 2.6.38 kernel has xen-netback backend driver
> added.
>
> So those of you that have been using xen, please test atleast the
> following:
>
> - check that kernel-server still works as a xen guest
> - try to use kernel-xen-pvops as dom0 and see how it works
> (you can also try to use kernel-xen-pvops as a normal xen guest)
>
> Have fun...
>
> --
> Thomas

i don't know how much people have been testing, but...

dom0 xen didn't work with .xz kernels, i put in a patch for that, and now it
works.

in a kvm guest, i've got a working xen dom0 host, but the libvirtd
implementation seems unable to find the cpu architecture, and if i force to be
the same as the host, i am unable to boot the dom0 anymore. (i think this is
likely due to the nature of a KVM guest not really being suitable for a XEN
dom0).

i've tried a physical server, but when i finally got to the point of libvirtd,
it seemed to not bootup anymore (it was an old disk, which i thought got
broken, seeing the IO errors)

I put in a new disk, only to note that the X2 suddenly only had 1 core, which
i found very odd, and i noticed the IO errors before  (and also now) were
really sata bus errors... (and if i remember correctly this machine had been
used with a semi-exploding PowerSupply)... so i think this mobo/cpu is
fried... now i need to find new hardware to restart testing again :-( .

note that allthough i can have everything running, i never tested with actual
guests, let alone online migrations...

however, i did find out that this xenpvops has 2 different toolchains:

xm and xl. xl seems to do pretty much the same, but apparently doesn't require
xend to be running (it reacts directly to the kernel/hypervisor?)

also the xencommons init script seems to start xenconsoled and xenstored on
it's own.

i'm thinking of removing both those init scripts and having xend not start as
default. (allthough i don't know about xendomains).

i'll keep you guys posted.