[Mageia-dev] Removal of sun java

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Thu Mar 29 23:06:54 CEST 2012

Am 29.03.2012 22:23, schrieb Maarten Vanraes:
> Op donderdag 29 maart 2012 21:08:22 schreef David Walser:
>> Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at ...> writes:
>>> If I want to keep a proprietary JRE on my computers, because I trust it
>>> more to run crap proprietary applications (also called
>>> corporate-compliants), than marvelous free-licensed environment they
>>> have never been tested with, that is my choice, not yours.
So you say that you really want to keep an outdated
package with many security holes, which even the
infamous Zeus bot is said to exploit?

Sure, that's your choice and you're free to do this,
but we can't keep our users susceptible to such
problems.
>> If they really want to keep Sun Java, shouldn't they just download the
>> installer from Sun and install it themselves, rather than using some
>> obsolete Mageia 1 package of it?
>
> well, iinm the version that the people have, will still have the correct
> license and we are able to distribute it fine.
>
> i would argue that if security bugs we could remove it, but i'm not too sure
> on this point... i mean, can we really remove it from them? otoh, people
> wanting to have the proprietary ones, likely know what they are doing...
>
> perhaps we can obsolete it with one of those nonfree getters? (if security
> bug)
>
> or, maybe a package that gives an README.urpmi ...
>
> IMHO: i think obsoleting it is fine, but with a README.urpmi that says notifies
> that it's been obsoleted.
That was the proposal, and that's what Ubuntu has done,
IIRC, they blanked the existing packages and notified
people, that they should either use OpenJDK or manually
get Java from Oracle.