[Mageia-dev] Removal of sun java

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 11:17:57 CEST 2012

Le 30/03/2012 10:10, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
> On 30 March 2012 10:06, Guillaume Rousse<guillomovitch at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> We can do like RH&    Ubuntu, provides an empty package that explain sun
>>> doesn't enable us anymore to distribute it and that they've to install (&    update)
>>> it manually from sun.com
>>
>> Why should we manage this case differently from other similar situations ?
>> That's not the first time we remove something from the distribution, because
>> it is not supported anymore usually, and has known available
>> vulnerabilities.
>
> Actually, _YOU_ want us to "manage this case differently from other similar
> situations".
> In case you didn't see, other packages are obsoleted by task-obsolete (if
> no better package)
Using task-obsolete is fine:
- its purpose is crystal-clear
- if I don't want it, I don't install it

Adding an obsolete tag in openjdk to remove sun jdk now, for security
concernes, whereas we had suffered a useless mess of at least four
available java environnement at once for years uselessly (excepted for
blindly applying jpackage project practices), doesn't seems quite similar.

> In this case, we even have strong decisions to do so:
> 1) users don't report bugs in our bugzilla
> 2) users get aware it's no longer supported by us
> 3) users get aware they won't get any security update anymore
> 4) users get aware they have to look at sun.com for updates
> 5) ...
'user get aware' is a perfectly fine objective. 'users get managed
automatically' is not.

> So please don't invent special exceptions to our policies for
> your own comfort.
Get me a simple example of a similar situation, when a package A, after
peacefully coexisting with package B for years, suddenly obsoleted it as
B was removed from the distribution, for any kind of reason.

And that's not really my own confort, as I don't have any java usage
anymore. I really don't care about this specific package, I care about
the limit between end user and packager for this kind of decision. If
the global consensus here is toward enforcing operating system vendor
choices, I'd rather not volonteer for for a role in the project...

--
BOFH excuse #337:

the butane lighter causes the pincushioning