[Mageia-dev] Removal of sun java

Oliver Burger obgr_seneca at mageia.org
Fri Mar 30 17:51:35 CEST 2012

Am 30.03.2012 17:39, schrieb Maarten Vanraes:
> Op vrijdag 30 maart 2012 16:00:22 schreef nicolas vigier:
> [...]
>> I think an empty package is not a good idea, it would be better to
>> obsolete it in task-obsolete :
>>   - it's more clear that the package is obsoleted and is not a regular
>>     update. Users installing an empty package as update would only see that
>>     it is removed but not updated when it's already removed.
>>   - package is really removed and no longer listed as installed in rpm
>>     database
>>   - it's easy to add task-obsolete in urpmi skip.list for people who
>>     don't want unmaintained packages to be automatically removed
>
> wrt to task-obsolete, do the users get notified?
>
> maybe a README.urpmi listing all the packages and reasons would be an option
> to get notified?
And how do you decide, when to put which warning in it?
If you leave a warnign in it for too long, the user will get notified
again and again and again on each update of task-obsolete.
If you change the warnings every release of task-obsolte a user not
updating frequently will miss some.

But in this case, why not replacing the java sun packages by an empty
package obsoleting the whole java sun stack <= our last package and
showing the information via README.urpmi file and obsoleting that
package in say two months so it will be completely gone?

Oliver