[Mageia-dev] Creating PDFs from a scanned document

Robert Fox list at foxconsult.net
Sat Mar 31 11:59:03 CEST 2012

Just a quick question to the experts out there . . .

I have an HP J5780 All-in-One device - and use the HP Device Manager
software under Mageia -  When I scan a document into a PDF, the
converted document is rather large (5MB) in comparison to the same
document scanned under Windows 7 and the HP scan-to-PDF feature (465Kb)
-  Just wanted to know why is this and can I influence how compressed or
compact the PDF document is under Cauldron?

I used to scan with "Acquire Images" or XSane and then paste the scanned
graphic into a LibreOffice document and then create a PDF directly or
use ps2pdf14 to convert a "print to file" postscript output to PDF
(which results in a comparatively small PDF)

Any advice would be welcome . .

Cheers,
R.Fox