[Mageia-dev] Are you sure? (no confirmation before proceeding to selected packages installation)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri May 4 17:04:33 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Felix Miata at 04/05/12 15:19 did gyre and gimble:
> Mageia's installer has the same problem that bothers me in Mandriva. The
> type install screen with KDE vs Gnome vs custom has no intermediate step
> prior to the start of selected packages installation. Does this bother
> no one else?

While a moot point for mga2 as others have said, I'd prefer not to have
an extra confirmation here. "Extra Clicks" are things UI people try to
reduce and for good reason. You don't want people being "click happy"
and ignore anything that is said to them (i.e. the privilege escalation
dialogue in Windows Vista).

I do accept that more clarity is maybe needed so if you pick one of the
predefined sets (Gnome or KDE) perhaps the button should say "Start
Installation" rather than "Next"? When you select "Custom" it should
instead read "Customise". That requires no extra clicks or confirmations
but should increase clarity to a level you'll be happy with.

> 2-There are no formatting options offered for /. Since I virtually
> always install to a multiboot system, I require maximum
> cross-installation compatibility. I can't have inode sizes, UUIDs and
> volume labels changed willy nilly without having to go back and
> reconfigure every other installation to conform to needless changes made
> by a new installation. Format step really ought to offer selectable
> format options so that an existing UUID, LABEL and/or Inode size could
> be preserved and yet the / target really be empty.

This seems a very different point to the topic/subject of your mail. I
suggest you wait until mga2 is out and then submit your wish bugs.

Cheers