[Mageia-dev] Are you sure? (no confirmation before proceeding to selected packages installation)

Dimitrios Glentadakis dglent at gmail.com
Fri May 4 18:46:38 CEST 2012

Στις 04/05/2012 17:59:49 Wolfgang Bornath γράψατε:
> > In the specific case i mentionned, there is a risc of loosing data, so i
> > think that it is usefull to prevent. Why you are informed when you switch to
> > expert mode in diskdrake?
>
> Because the "Expert" button is there to tell users that if they will
> press this button they should know what they are doing.

> > Twice i avoided to delete the /home partition. To prevent other users, in
> > the greek translation i add the 'formatting (delete data)'
>
> At which occasion? In normal mode after leaving the partitioning
> screen you will get a list of partitions which will be formatted. If
> you set the mount point for /home on your "old" home partition the
> checkbox beside this partition will be not marked by default. So,
> first a new user does not have an old /home partition, second: if he
> has then he should not override the default (or click on "Back" to
> make sure he does not do something stupid). Yes, there is a "Back"
> button on the formatting screen. Besides, clicking on "Next" in the
> partitioning screen shows a popup where you can cancel the operation.
>
> So this step (partitioning and formatting) is secured by the double.
> Given the fact that even the newest user should be aware that this is
> an important step I think a normal computer user will pay attention to
> what he is doing there.
>
> I don't think that I understand what you mean exactly.

Here, http://docteam.mageia.nl/installer/content/images/dx2-formatPartitions.png there is a risk to format and delete your data.
i think that we, and now me, dont see why because we think as an experimented user.

Yes formating is delete data. We all here know it. But when you dont do things like this in your daily life, and you install a system for the first time, you may be confused about. "Ah ok, now i will 'format' my disk to a linux system type with the name ext4"
The terms "formating" "partition" "ext4" are not obvious for all. Very easy a newbie user can click on Next without making attention for his decision. If he does it, and it is not his desired action, it is too late. Sure it is his fault but it is good to think about others with any skill.

There, it could be a confirmation dialog "This will delete all data in the partition. Are you sure to continue?"

Or, as i did in the Greek translation, i added (With data delete)
http://docteam.mageia.nl/el/installer/content/images/dx2-formatPartitions.png

So, it is ok for me...... and for my compatriots!

--
Dimitrios Glentadakis