[Mageia-dev] What's with all the "fedora" named services in Drakxservice??

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun May 6 22:19:53 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Robert Fox at 06/05/12 15:57 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 15:09 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Jeeze, first people complain draxservices doesn't show all systemd
>> service and now that I fixed that people complain they show them... I
>> can't win :p
>>

> Thanks for your prompt response Colin - just was inquiring!

Yeah (and the above was just a joke in case you didn't realise :)

> Maybe "disturbing" was a bit harsh . . . perhaps surprised.

Yeah I do understand the point. I think longer term the plan is to try
and get rid of as many of these scripts as possible as we migrate to a
far more "standard" userspace. There should be some interesting talks at
the plumbers conference this year on the "boot and init" track. Not that
I'll be able to go.

> Anywho, I think now that drakxservices shows the systemd stuff - it is
> very useful.  The question I have here is, if "drakxservices" still the
> definitive way to control services on Mageia 2 or should one use the
> systemd commandline?

Well there are still a few quirks to it IMO. While it works fine, there
are more statuses and conditions in systemd services than those
drakxserves was designed to handle. As we are supporting both sysvinit
and systemd with it for this release it'll work OK, but only for the
lowest common denominator. In the future we should be able to do more
with drakxservices to make it more systemd specific. This however is
more involved than you may think. The same code is used in the installer
(which does not run systemd) to enable/disable services during install
and on a running system. For the latter, using dbus to talk to systemd
would be the most sensible approach to write a GUI, but for the former,
we have to inspect the files manually which is ugly. For mga3 I have
plans to try and make the installer use systemd and then use
systemd-nspawn to run a virtual systemd instance to do the
enable/disable during install. This then means we can use the same
approach both during install and on a running system (in theory at least!)

In the mean time you can also use systemadm from the systemd-ui package
if you prefer a GUI.

HTHs