[Mageia-dev] Freeze Push: memcached

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 7 12:15:34 CEST 2012

Hi,

Please push memcached.

This is just for a subtle but significant change to the systemd units
after discussions upstream.

When dealing with large numbers of templated units, it's often difficult
to keep them all in sync. e.g. I might have 10 instances of the memcache
service and want to restart them all. The previous structure was
difficult in that regard.

This new structure introduces a new memcached.target. Each of the
templated units are set as BindTo=memcached.target which means that they
will follow the start/stop status of the target.

The target installs itself as a wants for multi-user.target and each
individual unit install themselves as being wanted by memcached.target.

This has the net result that starting/stopping/restarting all memcache
servers is as easy as "systemctl start|stop|restart memcached.target"

The only slightly ugly thing is that current rpm-helper code will
restart all instantiated instances of template units and then restart
the target too. This has the effect of doing the restart twice, but I
think this is a small price to pay.

I use the myself as I run two memcache servers for my work environment
and I can imaging scaling this up to any significant number would result
in significant benefits.

FWIW, this is how openvpn should be structured too IMO.