[Mageia-dev] [soft-commits] [4436] german keyboard: default to variant with enabled deadkeys instead of "nodeadkeys variant" ( mga#3791)

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com
Thu May 10 00:21:46 CEST 2012

Hi Oliver, *,

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Oliver Burger
<oliver.bgr at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 09.05.2012 23:48, schrieb root at mageia.org:
>>
>>      Log Message
>>
>> german keyboard: default to variant with enabled deadkeys instead
>> of"nodeadkeys variant"  (mga#3791)
>
> Oups, why that?
> As far as I'm concerned no deadkeys is the default for German users and
> that's good!
>
> Any reasons for this change?

Call it "Competitive analysis" if you want. Keyboards comes with those
little keys that are meant to produce accented characters in
combination with regular letters, and this how it works on Windows,
the platform most users will migrate from, and also on Mac OS X.

Regular users don't have any use of stand-alone-accent-characters. And
even with deadkeys it is easy to produce the standalone accent by just
pressing the key twice (so you can get backticks easily).
If you're a programmer and are using a nodeadkeys variant for that
reason, you're not the target population of a suggested default. (If
you know what is meant with "deadkeys" and "nodeadkeys", you're not in
target of that dialog, and have the knowledge to not accept the
default, but choose the nodeadkeys variant that is listed right next
to the regular variant).

The variant with deadkeys is called "German" without any addition for
a reason. If nodeadkeys were the expected/more common choice, then it
would be "German (international)" or "German (deadkeys)", like it is
the case for the US-variants.

ciao
Christian