[Mageia-dev] Mageia 2 DVD 64bits install is broken

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sun May 27 12:55:39 CEST 2012

John a écrit :
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 04:18:19 +0100
> Simple . wrote:
>

>> 2012/5/27 Simple .<simplew8 at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> 2012/5/27 John<john at neodoc.biz>:

[...]
>>>   If instead calling _You_ you had first went to
>>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installation_Media  *you* had easily see
>>> that Rufus is a recommended tool to burn Linux .iso's.
>>>
> Yes, it is a suggested tool for Windows users, it still requires the user
> to understand how tyhe tool needs to be used - correct?

For what it is worth, it seems that Simple acted entirely reasonably.
There are no special instructions on the Rufus site on how to use the
application.
Isn't it better to try _constructive_ criticism instead of _blaming_
someone for having a problem ?

>>> Now theres a correct way to use Rufus?
>>>
> Of course there is, go to the website!

Again, the web site gives no indication of a _correct way_(tm) to use
Rufus.  It just says "Once downloaded, the application is ready to use".

However, for our wiki, it would be useful to know which version of Rufus
was used, and how it was used.
e.g., if the problem was with the freedos version, and what version of
Ms-windows was used.
Of course, reporting to the Rufus site is important as well.

>>> I simply followed what was written in Mageia wiki regarding burning a
>>> ISO to a USB pen disk.
>>>
>>> Also i didnt had any linux OS to be able to burn it for example with
>>> dd.
>>>
>> But i forgot to say that for Mageia 2 official release there is a
>> problem with the .iso, using dd to save it to a USB pen disk doesnt
>> set it as a bootable device, and this is a new bug to be reported.
>>
> This is NOT a new bug!
>
> One again, your methods are the problem.
>
> Countless other users have managed to write .iso images to USB sticks and
> install from them.
>
> Well in excess of two months of testing of USB installs preceeded the
> release.
>
> I say again, look to your methods

I guess you mean to say that one shouldn't follow suggestions in our wiki ?
How about being a little more positive ?

--
André