[Mageia-dev] Cinnamon Desktop

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Mon May 28 00:46:47 CEST 2012

On 05/25/2012 09:10 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 06:52:36PM -0600, finid at linuxbsdos.com wrote:
>> Is there a binary package for Cinnamon Desktop on Mageia?
>>
>> If not, is there an ongoing attempt to make it available?
>
> Same answer as previous, see thread:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mageia.devel/10858

I took the wild road, and just installed the two rpms that are on the
Fedora 17 repos pointed from the cinnamon site. They even work !!!
I had to force the install due to some different names in requires,
but binaries seem to work.

There are two packages, one for the cinnamon shell itself, and other
for a window manager called 'muffin'. I think it even can work with
mutter or metacity.

So I think the changes are minimal, and probably just building the
package for Mageia and giving a session file for that would be enough.
Just integration, no changes to anything else I think.

It doesn't look bad. Just an intermediate point between Gnome3 and 2.
And not so uuuuggggllllyyyy as Unity.

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>        \               Winter is coming...