[Mageia-dev] [RFC] radeon firmware in non-free

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed May 30 12:21:49 CEST 2012

> On 30 May 2012 11:09, Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org> wrote:
[...]
> Offering the choice between working proprietary drivers
> and NOT working free drivers is somewhat stupid don't you think?

this is true, of course, except that iirc not all cards were non-working.

i must add that even with my nvidia i had nouveau failing and had start
failsafe to switch to proprietary driver

maybe we should just be simple and have for all intel/AMD/NVidia cards
just vesa driver for installation. at least it'll be working then.

perhaps we can even ask the persons during installation, if we want to add
awareness, perhaps this is the best solution for it.

[...]
> I'm actually planning to add a media screen in cauldron installer so that
> one can enable/disable media.
>
> But that needs to actually include a nonfree/release subset on the install
> ISO so that those w/o network can enable it.
>
> Detecting need for non-free could then be done (looking at modinfo
> output for needed modules)
[...]

plz seem my email in this thread, it seems like a good redesign for mga3
for this.