[Mageia-dev] Fwd: fallback mode

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Mon Nov 5 19:27:26 CET 2012

Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> writes:

> From: Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen at gmail.com>
>
> I'm writing to inform you that the release team discussed
> https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode
> yesterday. We've come to the conclusion that we can't maintain
> fallback mode in reasonable quality, and are better off dropping it.

Ouch, many systems will become unusable in Gnome because of that.

Even an Intel Core2 Duo (E8400) from 2008 + Intel Q35 chipset from 2007
can not handle the load with Gnome Shell on a 1920x1080 display, using
accelerated GL drivers.

The overview with just 5 windows is extremly slow to appear or
disappear, and animations are about 2 frames per second...

--
Olivier Blin - blino