[Mageia-dev] Draft of a Letter to the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC).

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Nov 8 11:01:32 CET 2012

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 20:49:20 +0100
Pierre Jarillon <jarillon at abul.org> wrote:

> Le mardi 6 novembre 2012 23:39:43, Shlomi Fish a écrit :
> > So our question is: assuming we package faac as a package, can we still
> > provide pre-made and binary packages of GPLed programs that use it?
>
> you can add few words about interoperability
> http://interoperability-definition.info/en/
> which allows to read legally acquired datas.

I have read that page, but I don't understand how interoperability is related
here? The problem is that strong copyleft licences such as the GPL impose
restrictions on what are the acceptable licenses they can be linked against,
which undermines compatibility. I'm not sure I'm happy with that, but many
developers seem to like using these licences.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish