[Mageia-dev] Draft of a Letter to the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC).

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Thu Nov 8 13:49:50 CET 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 09:15 +0000, Donald Stewart wrote:
> On 8 November 2012 00:45, Johnny A. Solbu <cooker at solbu.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 06 November 2012 23:39, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > Dear sirs or madams,
> >
> > To me, this sounds a little to generic, a little to unformal [...]

> > No, this is wrong, you *cannot* use just one, it has to be both. You could
> have Dear Sir/Madam,  but the correct usage is as originally stated. This
> is an official letter, and therefore should have the official address to
> the recipient.

Dear Sir or Madam
is appropriate (note the capitalization).

You could also be more specific, or, better yet, find out the name of
the person or people to whom you are writing.

"to ask, whether and how we can"
should of course be "to ask whether (and how) we can..."
with the extra comma removed.

There is no such thing as a "definitive legal insight" in the USA. The
way the law works is that judges (formally called "courts") _interpret_
the law.

You may, however, ask for advice:

"We would appreciate any advice that you can give to us in this matter."

Liam