[Mageia-dev] faac: decision from the packagers meeting

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:29:40 CET 2012

Hi guys.

During the last packager meeting, we decided to first clear the legal
issues raised by Christiaan.

According to our understanding of the license
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs), linking
GPL code against non-GPL code is allowed, if the copyright owner for
this GPL code gives an authorization.

So, Shlomi is preparing a letter to the Software Freedom Law Center
asking if our understanding is correct, and if so, we'll just ask each
concerned software authors about this explicit authorization.

The discussion about how to distribute faac and faac-linked software is
postponed to the resolution of this first step, with end of november as
a deadline.

Here are the meeting logs, for futher information:
http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-dev/2012/mageia-dev.2012-11-06-20.09.html
--
BOFH excuse #227:

Fatal error right in front of screen