[Mageia-dev] Repo down: repository fallback by default...

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 07:50:06 CET 2012

Hi,

I am trying to install some software and get the error:
<<
 L'installation a échoué, certains fichiers sont manquants :
    rsync://
ftp.tsukuba.wide.ad.jp/mageia/distrib/2/x86_64/media/tainted/release/mencoder-1.0-1.rc4.0.r34578.9.mga2.tainted.x86_64.rpm
Vous devriez mettre à jour votre base de données urpmi.

Essayer de continuer néanmoins ?

(basically the rsync failed)

So I guess the repo is down, hopefully temporarily. I went to the
"configure media sources" UI and "add a specific media mirror" (was using
the $MIRRORLIST default until now).

[Side-note: the other mirror in Japan also had faulty tainted repos. I
wonder if there is a problem with Japan politics maybe about tainted
softwares?]

That's all good, but that's a bad user experience. Most users won't know
how to search, and will just think it is broken.

So my real question is: couldn't the $MIRRORLIST fallback to other servers
than the "closer" instead of failing?
I mean, that's one of the main point of having mirrors. It indeed allows to
faster downloads if you take a close one, but it could/should also be used
for falling back, hence providing "installation high availability".

Shouldn't that be the default behavior?
Thanks.

Jehan