[Mageia-dev] [patch] use urpmi without root privileges to just download packages

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 22:27:43 CET 2012

Le 30/10/2012 15:41, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> Le 29/10/2012 20:43, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
>> Le 29/10/2012 16:00, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
>>> Together with --no-install, it's what you want.
>> Indeed, excepted for two issues:
>> - it won't warn the user about the unability to write into
>> /var/cache/urpmi/rpms until the download start
>> - it won't solve the 'you have to guess what I actually did' issue :/
>>
>> Could we have some kind of non-interactive, easy-to-parse,
>> automation-dedicated output ?
> I just tested the patches.
>
> The --download-dir option seems borken:
>
> [guillaume at beria trunk]$ LC_ALL=C ./urpmi  --no-install --download-dir
> ~/tmp/ wine64
> Unknown option: download-dir
> No package named /home/guillaume/tmp/
An error of mine while attempting to run it. However, the value of this
option is always ignored, in favor of the one generated from the call to
userdir(), which seems to be precisely made for downloading package
without root privileges, according to the comment:
#mdkonline uses userdir because it runs as user

So, do we really need this option, or could we assume than packages
downloaded without root privileges will aways end in
/tmp/.urpmi-<uid>/rpms ?

--
BOFH excuse #447:

According to Microsoft, it's by design