[Mageia-dev] What the hell is wrong with MGA2s suspend/sleep/hibernate?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Nov 20 15:05:41 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 20/11/12 12:47 did gyre and gimble:
> On 11/20/2012 07:32 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>> Note: This is Not the automatic sleep/hibernation after X min of
>> inactivity. This is hibernation by accidently pressing the «SLEEP» key
>> on a keyboard.
> Ah, didn't realize that you wanted to disable the Sleep capability even
> when explicitly requested.  Remap the key ?

Not sure if remapping the key would work.

Ultimately things are slowly moving over the systemd where the
systemd-inhibit command is your friend.

Ultimately, systemd will handle the sleep key in MGA3 (I know not the
subject of this mail, but this is cauldron so saying for the sake of
history). It will be up to the DE's to inhibit this handling if they
want to do it themselves (via a very simple dbus protocol)

This way we can handle things at the low level before anyone has logged
in (e.g. by handling lid switch even when you're at a tty) and then we
can easily allow the DE to inhibit this handling if required (e.g. if
there is a second monitor plugged in, the DE may want to inhibit
lid-switch handling to allow you to close your lappy.

Anyway with this in mind, there is an easy way to inhibit suspend key
handling at the systemd level, but if a DE has already inhibited this
and then implements it's own handling you'll need  a way to disable that
too.

So all in all I think even with an improved base layer, this will still
be a slightly tricky issue to solve.

I'd just go for the superglue fix instead :p