[Mageia-dev] Can't win - or, best of both worlds . . .!

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 23 16:28:04 CET 2012

On 11/23/2012 03:46 AM, Robert Fox wrote:
> There has been much discussion over the KDE NetApplet and the lack of
> reliability with it - on my laptop (Thinkpad X220) it crashes regularly
> and I can't get it to switch between WWAN0 and WLAN0 without failing.
> Strangely, under Gnome - the Gnome network manager works flawlessly.  I
> can easily start and stop the WiFi or UMTS connection without problems.

"Can't win" is appropriate.  You may want to check the comments in bug#8169.

Apart from any net-applet crash, ifplugd is failing to start wireless
interfaces with current kernels, which means that the current plan to
*not* use NM outside of GNOME may not be workable. If that's the case,
then NM has to be made to work out-of-the-box outside of GNOME, or else
ifplugd has to be fixed.  Nobody outside of this ML is going to know
that they have to install extra packages and what they have to do with
them to get NM to work.