[Mageia-dev] Utter frustration

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Sat Nov 24 21:05:05 CET 2012

On 11/24/2012 08:20 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> In Cauldron, I'm once again struggling with the inability to make
> configuration changes.  I first met it and wrote about it when trying
> to get wifi working.  Now I'm trying to change shutdown option, and
> meet the same problem again.
>
> "Administrator authorisation is required to change the Login Manager
> settings"

Do you have an I-take-everything cauldron or a pick-and-choose cauldron
?  Nobody ever seems to announce policy changes on this ML, but I gather
that the winds of favor have moved from ConsoleKit to PolicyKit (or
maybe it's the other way around), so if, for example, ConsoleKit is now
deprecated but you still have packages installed that want it, you might
be getting the errors you mention below.

> "Unable to authenticate/execute the action: DBus Backend error: could
> not contact the helper.  Connection error: The name
> org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files.
> Message error: Did not receive a reply.  Possible causes include: the
> remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security
> policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
> connection was broken (code 7)"
>

> Caulron was behaving so well until a couple of weeks or so ago.  It's
> driving me mad at the moment.  Is there any way out of this mess?  and
> also, asked in another thread, any way to stop it locking my screen if
> I look away for a couple of minutes.

This was covered extensively in another thread.  KDE Power Management is
AFU at the moment.  If you have set PM to not turn off the display no
mattter what, it rolls the dice and chooses some random value for dpms,
which determines when the screen blanks (thanks, Colin).  There's an
open KDE bug for it.

At present, about all you can do to stay sane is put "xset -dpms" in
your rc.local and also at the tail end of whatever scripts you use for
"urpmi --auto-update" (as any update to KDE PM will probably undo the
-dpms).