[Mageia-dev] Cinnamon

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Mon Nov 26 17:52:01 CET 2012

Joseph Wang skrev 26.11.2012 18:09:

> I just want a nice looking desktop and to have a stable platform that I
> can use to do astrophysics hacking.  If I have to spend any non-trivial
> effort to get cinnamon packaged in some way that doesn't break the
> system, then I'm going to go insane pushing through the 50-100 other
> astrophysics packages that I want to add to Mageia.
>
> Now maybe you all don't want me to add 50-100 professional astrophysics
> packages to Mageia.  If so, then it's good we had this discussion now :-)
> :-) :-)

Well, theese 2 things are not really related, are they :)

We dont mind you add and maintain 50-100 professional astrophysics
packages to Mageia.

But none of them really depend on cinnamon being available.

But if you are seriously stating no cinnamon means no other
contributions either, then thats your decision, and your right
to do so.

As for getting cinnamon into Mageia, you yourself stated you
dont think it will be ready for Mga3.

So that statement by itself points out that we might be better
off keeping it from official mirrors for now... We can always
review the decision to block cinnamon later after Mga3 is out,
but that will be another discussion at that time...

But I dont object to storing current work in Mageia SVN.

> Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to work.  The trouble is that I'm
> doing things out of my "spare time."  The people at my day job can
> "persuade" me to show up at work every morning and work regular hours
> because they hand me $$$$.  Everything I do outside of work is for love
> and not money, and love is fickle.  I'll *try* to do what I can, but I have a
> day job and kids, and those come first.
>
> Also, I get annoyed enough trying to climb the corporate ladder in my
> day job.  I have to play game after game to get myself in a position
> where people will listen to me at work.  Today, I had to put together
> some Powerpoints for a "review committee" at work, and tomorrow
> there is going to be a meeting, and another meeting, and e-mail discussion
> and requirements documents, and project plans.  And in the middle of
> all of this, I just sometimes want to scream at the committee.  But I don't
> since they pay me $$$$$$$ not to tell them what I really think of them.
>
> But you aren''t paying me............

Ok, please stop this $$$$ & "you aren''t paying me" and "my spare time"
BS already.

Becaus every time you repeat it, you will be taken less and less
seriously, until people finally stop responding.

Point is... you are in _no way_ "more special" than any other
contributor in Mageia. Most of us are doing this on our free time
and by our free will, spending countless of hours and other resources
to work on it.

> Now, you may say that this is just "part of life."  It may be "part of Mageia"
> but it's certainly not part of "open source," and I can put together useful
> things elsewhere without having to go through the damn review committee.

Well, lets speak of "open source" then...

The "if I dont get this, I wont do that" try to force/blackmail is most
definately not a part of open source... rather the opposite...

And almost all distributions and larger projects have some kind of
review/stering comittee so make sure a project is heading in a wanted
direction. That does not mean their decision will please everybody.

> Remember I got these specs by converting Fedora RPM's, and they'll be the
> first people I'll go to.  If they don't work, then I'll try a dozen
> other distributions,
> and if none of those work, I'll start my own.

Well, thats the beauty of FLOSS... you can do whatever you want with the
code...

And I guess Fedora wont mind you helping them out & contributing
upstream..

It will then be spread and used by other distributions including Mageia :)

> I suppose it would help if someone tries to "sell" me Mageia.  What is
> Mageia, and why should I volunteer to work on it?

Well, we dont need to "sell" it to you. This is FLOSS after all.
Not every distribution suits everybody, that's how it's always been,
and it will be so in the future too...

Yes, we like people that want to contribute, but we dont like being
blackmailed...

> The thing is that if it is uncertain whether cinnamon will get into Mageia,
> then it's just a waste of time for me to work on it in Mageia.  It would be
> more useful for me to work on getting it to work with Fedora, Ubuntu, or
> Mint, because I know that it's going to be useful there.

Well, by all means... if you are basing the rest of your contributions
based on wether you can get cinnamon in or not, then I guess you need
to pick one that suits your needs, we wont stop you.

There are many great FLOSS projects out there, just pick one (or more)
and be happy...

--
Thomas