[Mageia-dev] "sell" me Mageia (was: Cinnamon)

Florent Monnier monnier.florent at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 21:30:16 CET 2012

2012/11/26, Joseph Wang <joequant at gmail.com>:
[...]
> I suppose it would help if someone tries to "sell" me Mageia.  What is
> Mageia, and why should I volunteer to work on it?
[...]

Hello,

I won't tell you that you should be a volunteer to Mageia. You should
volunteer to the project that you like, that matches your wishes, and
if you like the community around this project.

But I can tell you why I'm volunteer for Mageia and not another Linux
distro. It's because Mageia is (or I suppose it is) targeted to lambda
users that maybe have no programming skills. When I installed my first
Mandrake in 2001 (8.0) I even didn't know how to use Windows, it was
my first computer, and I just had to clic on "next -> next -> next"
and the installation was done with no other skills than been able to
read.

I do not believe in Linux distro that need skills to install and
manage, at least these distro are good but I think that they should
only be provided to skilled people. I don't like to see in the LUGs
people installing distros for non-programmers that are far beyond
their skills.

This said I'm only a very humble contributor, I've only packaged 2
things that will insterest lambda users. But if a lot of poeple do the
same it would be enough.

There are probably other motivations why contribute to Mageia and not
another distro.

Also I've not read all the thread, but I've read that you like to do
things instead of talk to much. I'm the same, you will see very few
post of me in the lists, I'm just doing the things I like on my side
(very few things I admit), and most often I just don't know everything
about what hapens in the mga community. So if it's what you want it's
possible, but it seems that the package you did has more interactions,
so in this case there is no escape for needing coordination.

Best regards