[Mageia-dev] Any progress on the NFS mount problem? - One step further

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:45:37 CEST 2012

Le 01/10/2012 17:26, Anne Wilson a écrit :

> On Monday 01 Oct 2012 13:18:36 Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> Le 22/09/2012 21:16, Anne Wilson a écrit :
>>> udp        0      0 *:nfs                       *:*
>>>
>>> unfsd
>>
>> Ouch... You're running an obsolete alternative nfs server. You
>> should uninstall the unfs3 package, and this package should get
>> removed
> from
>> the distribution.
>>
>> To summarize, here are the mandatory steps: - check you have
>> nfs-utils-clients installed on clients - check you have
>> nfs-utils-clients and nfs-utils installed on server - check
>> rpcbind, and nfs-common services are running on clients - check
>> rpcbind, nfs-common and nfs-server services are running on
> the
>> server
>>
> Not sure of the command-line for checking things that don't respond to
> "service whatever status", but MCC says all those services are running
> on the server.
MCC won't give any useful detail, "service nfs-common status" will...

[..]
>> Now, to ensure usage of NFSv4 instead of obsolete NFSv3: - check
>> every host is configured to run rpc.idmapd, meaning NEED_IDMAPD=yes
>> in /etc/sysconfig/nfs-common
>
> Done
>
>> - check your server export a root filesystem, using fsid=0 options
>> in its /etc/exports configuration file
>
> Added that - how do I tell it to ignore the old exports and act on
> those in /etc/exports?  I can't find my notes about that.
Quick answer: service nfs-server restart

>> - drop all your legacy nfs options, such as wsize and rsize from
>> your mount options
>>
> Done - the lines now match the working QNAS mounts, eg
>
> 192.168.0.40:/home /mnt/borg2/home nfs user,timeo-14 0 0
Why do you need a timeout, and why 14s ? If you're not an NFS expert,
you'd better rely on default values only.

Also, take cares, with NFSv4, you don't mount the actual server
filepath, but the exported filepath: the root filesystem (the one with
fsid=0) will be available as /, whatever its actual path.

Once again, test everything manually with manual mount command before
hardcoding them in /etc/fstab.

>> Last, you'd better use autofs to mount those filesystems on
>> demand, rather than hardcoding them in /etc/fstab, which avoid to
>> relies on server availability during the boot.
>
> Replace nfs with autofs in those lines?
No, that means dropping any nfs filesystem entry in your /etc/fstab, and
configuring autofs daemon instead. But that's off-topic right now...

--
BOFH excuse #260:

We're upgrading /dev/null