[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Tue Oct 2 13:26:38 CEST 2012

On 10/02/2012 04:03 AM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Given the importance of this package for several multimedia-related
> software (it is a mandatory dependency for cinerella, for instance), I
> think it's time to revisit this decision, and rather look for a
> pragmatic solution rather than a merely bureaucratic one.

I read the links, but I think the discussion would benefit from a
statement of exactly why people don't want nonfree software in tainted.

At least for my part, I always viewed tainted as being the equivalent of
PLF, i. e. we'll put this stuff in there because it's legal where we
are, and you decide whether you want to mirror it and make your own
decision as to whether you want to use it.  I thought the whole point
was to segregate tainted stuff from everything else so that mirror
maintainers could avoid tainted yet still mirror the mainstream repos.

If that's true, and tainted is just a dumping ground for stuff that we
have legal or philosophical problems putting anywhere else, then I don't
get the free/nonfree issue.