[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Tue Oct 2 16:12:17 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 02 October 2012 15:55, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> Johnny A. Solbu skrev 2.10.2012 16:35:
> if a software is subject to a software patent, it ends up in /tainted
> regardless of what happends to be the law in your country.

That was my point. :-)=

> > And up until now, I've had the impression that this is the difference between the tainted and nonfree repos. And we should keep it this way.
>
> It is... _any_ package with patent issues ends up in /tainted

Not according to official mageia documentation and policy it doesn't.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Release_Notes#The_Mageia_online_repositories
That page states that there is No nonfree software in tainted.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mirrors_policy#tainted
Current policy states that nonfree packages are Not allowed in tainted. That includes patented nonfree packages.

According to this thread, the discussion is what should happen with nonfree packages that is also tainted with patents.

> > As to what we should do with packages that are both patented and proprietary, I seriously do not see the problem of having them in the nonfree tree.
> > Patented or not, they are Nonfree software, and therefore belong in the nonfree tree. If we should further distinguish between nonfree and patented nonfree, then we should do that inside the nonfree tree.
>
> That's your view.

Yes it is. :-)=

> For those that live in countries affected by software patents, they see
> it the other way, so they want it in tainted as that is the
> "problematic" part. the nonfree part does not make them break the law.
>
> So for them "distinguish between nonfree and patented nonfree, then we
> should do that inside the tainted tree"...

Then we also need to change current guidelines as to what goes in tainted.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324