[Mageia-dev] Final set of isos for Mageia 3

Rémi Verschelde remi at verschelde.fr
Tue Oct 2 23:54:28 CEST 2012

2012/10/2 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> 2012/10/2 Rémi Verschelde <remi at verschelde.fr>:
>>
>> But I guess I may have misunderstood your point.
>
> Yes, you did :)
>
> 1. My proposal was in no way ro replace all ISOs. There must be some
> "master" ISOs which went through Mageia QA and are distributed as
> "official" ISOs. But the number of different ISOs can be reduced
> further than currently planned.
>
> 2. Of course one who wants to create a custom ISO has to install
> Mageia first - this he could do using the smallest way there is,
> another live cd, no matter which flavor.
>
> But the advantage is, from this one download and installation he can
> produce any flavor for any purpose he wants. Example:
>
> I would only need one English live cd. From this I could install the
> system. And then I could create
>  - live cd with German with the DE of my choice and the software of my
> personal choice
>  - live cd in German for German events and to demonstrate to friends
>  - live cd in German for a magazine, customized to their wishes,
> etc.
>
> All this also helps to keep everybody satisfied, not only the part who
> is satisfied with the original Mageia ISOs. As such it would reduce
> work for Mageia.
>
> --
> wobo

Danke für die Erklärung :)

Then that makes sense and I can see your point. The “Live-CD
generator” would be used by advanced users, e.g. by Mageia
contributors wanting to create a set of German LiveCDs for the
LinuxTag in Berlin, and the average users could still download our
tested ISOs with all locales on the LiveDVDs / DVDs or in English on
the LiveCDs.

Rémi