[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 4 17:07:18 CEST 2012

On 10/04/2012 10:46 AM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> There are/were enough Mandriva mirrors who did not mirror PLF at all.

I'm well aware of that, since PLF wouldn't have existed otherwise. The
question concerned mirroring nonfree, not tainted.  The reasons for not
mirroring each of these is quite different.

> A built-in filter in a software is not the same as a separate branch.
> It is a difference between seeing free and non-free in separate
> branches and just believe that there is a filter and that it is
> working all the time. There have been bugs in urpmi, why do you regard
> that filter to be perfect per se? It's a difference between a
> developer/packager who uploads a package to a branch by intention and
> a packager who just adds a tag (or may have forgotten to add it). A
> packager who just forgot to add a dependency is no hoax - why do you
> think a packager who forgot to add a tag is a hoax? Or a myth?

Sorry, I don't buy that.  If a packager omits a tag or chooses a wrong
repository, the reason is probably the same - he didn't read the license
and that means the package is going to be misfiled under either scheme.
And the only way a FOSS activist is going to catch this is to read the
license himself if he has any doubts.