[Mageia-dev] The shiny new Control Center

Per Øyvind Karlsen peroyvind at mandriva.org
Wed Oct 10 17:31:09 CEST 2012

2012/9/30 Steven Tucker <tuxta2 at gmail.com>

> If it was my language of choice I would be writing it in C++. It was 100%
> due to discussions on the list and in IRC that led to writing it in Perl.
> As noted, I have previously never written any Perl, and so it would not
> have been my first or even second choice, I did it purely because of the
> feedback I received from the Mageia community.

Perl is a dead-end, and most of the code is horrible even by perl
standards, we've been started on rewriting a lots of the code for drakx in
mandriva, some of the progress has been rather slow, but things are
moving at least, where I've already rewritten much of the perl specific
parts of it has been rewritten in C & shell so far, with some of the tools
to generate the installer isos being rewritten in python so far.

What I'm intending to target is more of some new libraries for the purpose
(ie. the backend), preferrably written in C++, whileas higher level
functionality such as gui matters would have ie. some python bindings
provided as well.

It's not really *that* much code that needs to be rewritten, the worst part
is to try dechiffer and wasting more time spent on trying to understand the
code than just writing the code once you know how to do it.

The drakx tools's perl code should really be considered as legacy, I can't
think of anyone who has deeper insight on it who'd ever find anything but
som sentimental value from it..

If you'd have any interest  in any of this, don't hesitate to get in touch.
:)

PS: considering your drakx branch is a fork of the original upstream drakx
project and that these two have heavily diverged since, established
etiquete would dictate that the forket project should change..

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind