[Mageia-dev] Mageia 2 - Security issiue

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Tue Oct 16 05:13:05 CEST 2012

I have a guest computer, that also operates as a file server.
Up until recent weeks, it ran Mandriva 2010.2, and various mdv versions before that.
It was configured to disallow any user except root from reboting or shutting it down. If any user managed to figure out how to shut it down, it would prompt for the root password.

In Mageia 2 this does not work, and it creates a security issiue for me, as it is critical that this computer is always running.

I have done the same in Mageia that I did in Mandriva:
systemsettings --> Login-screen --> Shutdown --> Allow shutdown
Select "Only Root" in Loal, and "Nobody" for remote, and press Apply. When i launch systemsettings again to check, the changes are still there.
I restart X, to have the settigns take effect. It does not change anything. Users can still reboot or shutdown the system.
When the computer is rebooted, the settings are reset to default, which is "Everybody"

Has anyone else seen this?

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324